Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Tempranillo Joven


Had a visit today from Duncan Ferguson and Susana Fernandez of Cascabel winery in McLaren Vale, South Australia. They had been showing their wines at a dinner last night at Establishment, and as I had been unable to attend they wanted me to see their wines, so they came to me. Im glad they did, for the wines that they showed me were fantastic and Im planning on putting one of them on by the glass in the Library.

The first red that I tasted from them was the Tempranillo Joven, which is a kind of spanish take on beaujolais nouveau. The idea is that the wine undergoes minimal oak and is usually released as soon after the vintage as possible. This is a bit easier in Australia were the grapes are often harvested from April onwards. The nose had loads of fruit character with no perceptable oak flavours. I wouldnt have guessed it was a tempranillo blind because Ive never tried a tempranillo without the more dominant oak characters. This wine has seen some oak though, three months in used french oak, just enough to take the edge off the fruit and add a bit of depth and a touch of tannin. Only 13% alcohol which is great. A good easy drinking red with loads of fruit character and some depth to it, I reckon this would make a good replacement for the Julienas we are selling by the glass just now.

No comments: