Thursday, April 06, 2006

Catching Up

Busy week last week. Its the end of the financial year, so that means year end stocktakes, auditors in the building, and bucketloads of stress. To add to the fun and games, our stock controller left on Friday, so we dont have anyone in charge in the cellar at the moment. Guess who ends up absorbing most of the responsability? Me. Sucks to be me sometimes.

Anyway tonight is Dining Club night. This is Mr Slaters little get together with some chums to enjoy a gourmet meal prepared by Simon, with wines selected from the cellar by me. I usually enjoy Dining Club nights, because it gives me the chance to use up some wines that we have very little chance of selling. This means that they get some very good wines with their meal, and tonight is no exception.
For aperitif they are starting with a 1989 Clos des Goisses from Philipponnat. This was the original single vineyard champagne. From Grand Cru vineyard in Mareuil-sur-Oger, this pinot dominated wine is truly outstanding. When it has had a bit of bottle age on it, then it becomes something quite spectacular.
They start the meal with a magnum of Didier Dageneau's Pur Sang, Blanc fume de pouilly 2003. Dageneau is regarded as the master of loire wines, and his wines are in short supply and high demand. Outside of Burgundy they are amongst the most expensive whites from France.
Then they move onto a New Zealand riesling, the Craighall Riesling from Dry River. I first tasted this wine when i worked for Malmaison back in the day. It was the first dry riesling that i had ever tasted and it was a revolation for me. Since then I have always had Dry River wines on my wine-list.
For main course Im serving a 1992 Caymus Special Selection Cabernet Sauvignon. Outstanding Cabernet from the Rutherford region of Napa. Ive only read about this wine, I havent had the chance to taste it yet, so tonights the night!!
Cheese is being served with a Bonnes Mares 1989 from George Roumier. The middle of a trio of excellent vintages, this one is always overshadowed by the slightly superior 88 and 90, but its the vintage that i feel has the most elegance and character.
Dessert is being served with a Moscato Bianco from the Two Hands Winery in the Barossa Valley. Its slightly sprinkly and really fruity, a cracking summery wine, that I could easily drink on its own in the garden just chillin'.
Now that im writing this I've just realised that Ive forgotten the brandy and port. I'd best shoot off and sort that out or my ass will be in a sling.

grazza

No comments: